Saturday, April 18, 2009

In My Mailbox - 4/18/09

Credit goes to The Story Siren for thinking up the In My Mailbox feature.

Here are the books I bought or received this week:

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George

Poor Creel. She can’t believe her aunt wants to sacrifice her to the local dragon. It’s a ploy to lure a heroic knight so that he will fight the dragon, marry Creel out of chivalrous obligation, and lift the entire family out of poverty. Creel isn’t worried. After all, nobody has seen a dragon in centuries.
But when the beast actually appears, Creel not only bargains with him for her life, she also ends up with a rare bit of treasure from his hoard, not gold or jewels, but a pair of simple blue slippers—or so she thinks. It’s not until later that Creel learns a shocking truth: She possesses not just any pair of shoes, but ones that could be used to save her kingdom, which is on the verge of war, or destroy it.


Beka Cooper: Terrier by Tamora Pierce

Tamora Pierce begins a new Tortall trilogy introducing Beka Cooper, an amazing young woman who lived 200 years before Pierce's popular Alanna character. For the first time, Pierce employs first-person narration in a novel, bringing readers even closer to a character that they will love for her unusual talents and tough personality.
Beka Cooper is a rookie with the law-enforcing Provost's Guard, and she's been assigned to the Lower City. It's a tough beat that's about to get tougher, as Beka's limited ability to communicate with the dead clues her in to an underworld conspiracy. Someone close to Beka is using dark magic to profit from the Lower City's criminal enterprises--and the result is a crime wave the likes of which the Provost's Guard has never seen before.


The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

Calpurnia Virginia Tate is eleven years old in 1899 when she wonders why the yellow grasshoppers in her Texas backyard are so much bigger than the green ones.With a little help from her notoriously cantankerous grandfather, an avid naturalist, she figures out that the green grasshoppers are easier to see against the yellow grass, so they are eaten before they can get any larger. As Callie explores the natural world around her, she develops a close relationship with her grandfather, navigates the dangers of living with six brothers, and comes up against just what it means to be a girl at the turn of the century.


How Do I Love Thee? by Nancy Moser

Elizabeth Barrett is a published poet--and a virtual prisoner in her own home. Blind family loyalty ties her to a tyrannical father who forbids any of his children to marry. Bedridden by chronic illness, she has resigned herself to simply existing. That is, until the letter arrives...
"I love your verses with all my heart," writes Robert Browning, an admiring fellow poet. As friendly correspondence gives way to something more, Elizabeth discovers that Robert's love is not for her poetry alone. Might God grant her more than mere existence? And will she risk defying her father in pursuit of true happiness?

17 comments:

Unknown said...

the evolution one looks and sounds really good :) I shall add it to my tbr list right now :) I recently decided to put my tbr list next to my computer, I cannot believe i was silly enough not to have thought of that before.

Carrie said...

The Kelly book looks really good. I'll have to check that one out.

Mandy said...

Hmm, I'll have to check some of these out on Amazon. They look pretty good.

Nancy said...

All of your books have amazing covers. I really want to read Terrier for it sounds really good.

Adele said...

How do I love thee sounds like something I might like. Anything Tamora Pierce is a must in my book. Great group of books there!

Unknown said...

How Do I Love Thee sounds really good! Terrier is a good book too! Happy reading =)

Liyana said...

Tamora Pierce is awesome! I haven't read Terrier yet, but it's bound to be good. Great loot!

cat said...

You got a bunch of books with really pretty covers. I know, I know, I am a cover whore I admit it! But the first and second titles are really enchanting looking!

Cat (Beyond Books)

Anonymous said...

I like the cover of the Calpurnia Tate book. Happy reading!

asdfjkl; said...

Honestly, I have never read any books by Tamora Pierce. But EVERYONE seems to be reading and liking them so I feel the need to read one of them also. *off to check my library's online catalog* Happy Readings! :D

Busy Bookblogger said...

All three have beautiful covers, though I haven't read any Tamora Pierce either I have heard good things about the books. And P.S. I am really jealous that you having Being Nikki already! :) Happy Reading!

wdebo said...

They all look really interesting but woohoo Tamora Pierce!!

Wdebo :)

Fantastic Book Review said...

I've been tempted to pick up some of Tamora Pierce's books. I've heard great things about them

Rebecca said...

Terrier is a really good book. Also, Dragon Slippers sounds like a really interesting book.

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

Good week-they all look great!

Lenore Appelhans said...

I need to get Terrier too!

vvb32 reads said...

How Do I Love Thee sounds like a good romance one for me!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Drowsy Town kit by Irene Alexeeva