Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Book review: Darklight by Lesley Livingston

Darklight by Lesley Livingston (Published by HarperTeen, December 22, 2009)

Everything changed in the life of Kelley Winslow, a young actress, when she learned she was really a faerie. She fell in love with Sonny, a changeling and a member of the elite fight force appointed by Kelley’s real father, a faerie king. She saved the world. And she was separated from Sonny, who was forced to return to the faerie realm while Kelley remained in the moral world and attempted to resume her normal life, hoping that she would be reunited with him someday soon.

But life hasn't really gone back to normal. Kelley is haunted by nightmares sent to her by her mother, the faerie queen, violent nightmares about Sonny that makes her wonder how well she really knows him. She soon finds herself in the Otherworld, the faerie realm, where she is reunited with Sonny but also faces great danger from an old enemy. And their reunion isn't the perfect happy one she would have wanted. She is forced to work through her feelings for Sonny and for her family while evading a dangerous band of leprechauns who want her dead.

I actually hadn’t read book one, Wondrous Strange, when I received this book for review. So I think I missed out on a bit by reading book two first. But Darklight was still a very enjoyable read. I liked that the romance between Kelley and Sonny wasn’t perfect but had its ups and downs. I also really liked Kelley’s background as an actress in the theater, it made her an interesting and unique main character. I would recommend this series to readers who like young adult fantasy about faeries but I would recommend starting with the first book, which I now plan to go back and read.

Disclosure: Review copy provided by publisher.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Nice review I am so excited to read this :) I adored Wondrous Strange you definitely need to go back and read it!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Drowsy Town kit by Irene Alexeeva