Sunday, May 29, 2011

Book review: Nightspell by Leah Cypess

Nightspell by Leah Cypess (Published by Greenwillow, May 31, 2011)

Several years ago, Darri's younger sister, Callie, was sent to Ghostland to be the future wife of Prince Kestin, the heir to the throne. Darri was horrified that her little sister would be sacrificed to make an alliance, forced to live out her life in a dreary country where the ghosts of the dead linger. Darri tried but was unable to persuade her father to change his plans. Now, several years later, she has finally convinced him to allow her to rescue Callie, if Darri herself takes Callie's place as Prince Kestin's future bride.

When Darri and her older brother, Varis, arrive in Ghostland, they find that Callie is changed from the little sister they remember. Callie has adjusted to her new life, but still resents Darri for not finding a way to keep her from being sent away years ago. Darri is horrifed by this place where she cannot even tell who is alive and who is dead, and the sister she tried so hard to save doesn't even want to be rescued.

I can't really say much more about the plot without giving away spoilers. There's a lot of political intrigue, secrets, and shocking revelations. I thought the concept of Ghostland was very interesting and the author did an excellent job with the worldbuilding. I was a little disappointed, however, that there was really no romance. I don't care if the romance is the main focus of the story or not but I prefer there to be at least some romance. I was also a bit disappointed by the ending, I can't really think what a sequel could be about, but at the same time I really wish some questions hadn't been left unanswered. If you are sick of paranormals and love high fantasy I think you would probably still enjoy this book, and I will definitely still read future books by the author, I just wish I knew what happened after the ending!

Disclosure: Review copy provided by publisher.

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

I really enjoyed this a lot and am looking forward to reading Mistwood now!

Vicky Alvear Shecter said...

What an interesting concept! But I'm with you--I like a little romance too...

Anonymous said...

love it i love this book and i love this recount well done, thumbs up to you :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Drowsy Town kit by Irene Alexeeva