Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: The Academie by Susanne Dunlap

The Academie by Susanne Dunlap (Published by Bloomsbury, April 10, 2012)

Eliza Monroe-daughter of the future president of the United States-is devastated when her mother decides to send her to boarding school outside of Paris. But the young American teen is quickly reconciled to the idea when-ooh, la-la!-she discovers who her fellow pupils will be: Hortense de Beauharnais, daughter of Josephine Bonaparte; and Caroline Bonaparte, youngest sister of the famous French general. It doesn't take long for Eliza to figure out that the two French girls are mortal enemies-and that she's about to get caught in the middle of their schemes.
Loosely drawn from history, Eliza Monroe's imagined coming of age provides a scintillating glimpse into the lives, loves, and hopes of three young women during one of the most volatile periods in French history.


I loved Susanne Dunlap's other YA historicals so I can't wait to read this one. I'm not a huge fan of the cover, though. The girl's pose seems odd to me.

2 comments:

Christina T said...

I agree with you about the cover! I've read some of Susanne Dunlap's historical fiction (The Musician's Daughter is my favorite) and this sounds like it could be good. The description makes it sound more like modern fiction because of the writing style. Good pick! I will add it to my TBR list.

Vicky Alvear Shecter said...

This sounds good! I really liked The Musician's Daughter.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Drowsy Town kit by Irene Alexeeva