Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Book review: Eye of the Sword by Karyn Henley

Eye of the Sword by Karyn Henley (Published by Waterbrook Press, March 13, 2012)

Trevin has had a hard life. As a young child, he lost both his parents, leaving him and his brother alone in the world. Left starving and homeless, they had to resort to stealing. Later, they worked for Lord Rejius (who was the main villain of the first book in this series, Breath of Angel). Trevin has now vowed to be on the side of good, and serves the King of Camrithia, who is the father of Melaia, the main character of book one. Still, Trevin struggles with guilt due to his past, and fears that he can never be worthy of Melaia, the only girl he has ever loved, because he is of low birth and has a terrible past.

When Varic, who is a prince from the Dregmoors (a nation that is an enemy of Camrithia) arrives at court, Trevin doesn't trust him. He soon learns Varic's motives - he offers a peace treaty, but the price is Melaia's hand in marriage. Trevin can't bear to see Melaia married to someone else, especially not a brute like Varic. He hates to leave her, but the king has ordered him to search for the missing Comains (men in the king's service that have all gone missing). Along the way, Trevin hopes to gain allies for Camrithia that would make the marriage alliance unneeded, and to prove his worth in hopes he can someday be worthy of Melaia.

Eye of the Sword is the sequel to Breath of Angel, the first book in the Angelaeon Circle series. The main character in the first book was Melaia, and when I saw she would not be the main character in the second book I was a bit disappointed. I don't read many books with male main characters, and it took me a little longer to get into this book, but once I got past the first fifty pages I finished the rest in a day (which is fast for me!). I think this book could be a bit confusing to readers who haven't read Breath of Angel yet, so I suggest reading the books in order. Unlike many series books, this book does not end on a cliffhanger - there's more to the story, and there definitely could be another book or two (and I hope there is!), but it doesn't leave the reader hanging. I recommend both these books to readers who are tired of the typical young adult paranormal/fantasy novels and who are looking to read something that's new and different.

Disclosure: Review copy provided by publisher.

1 comment:

Irish said...

I just go this one from Amazon Vine...So glad to hear that you liked it. Now to get off my butt and read Breathe of an Angel and this one! Maybe when I finally finish up with my Deanna Rayburn obsession.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Drowsy Town kit by Irene Alexeeva