Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: In the Shadow of the Lamp by Susanne Dunlap

In the Shadow of the Lamp by Susanne Dunlap (Published by Bloomsbury, April 12, 2011)

It’s 1854 and sixteen-year-old Molly would give anything to change her circumstances as a lowly servant in a posh London house. So when she hears of an opportunity to join the nurses who will be traveling with Florence Nightingale to the Crimea, she jumps at the chance. The work is grueling, the hospital conditions deplorable, and Miss Nightingale a demanding teacher. Before long, the plight of British soldiers becomes more than just a mission of mercy as Molly finds that she’s falling in love with both a dashing young doctor and a soldier who has joined the army to be near her. But with the battle raging ever nearer, can Molly keep the two men she cares for from harm? A love story to savor, and a fascinating behind-the-scenes imagining of the woman who became known as “the lady with the lamp.”


I *love* Susanne Dunlap's historical fiction, so I can't wait to read her next book! The historical setting sounds really unique and interesting.

7 comments:

Alison Can Read said...

That sounds great. I haven't read anything by Susanne Dunlap. I'd like to check her books out.
Alison Can Read

Christina T said...

I loved The Musician's Daughter and liked Anastasia's Secret. I hadn't heard of this one but it is going on my TBR list.

Vicky Alvear Shecter said...

I too enjoyed The Musician's Daughter, though haven't read Anastasia's Secret. This one sounds really good!

Marg said...

I haven't read any Susanne Dunlap myself, but I do like books that are set against the Crimean war. It does surprise me that there isn't more fiction around about the nurses of Florence Nightingale - it seems to be a setting that naturally would generate fascinating stories.

Thao said...

I don't usually like historical books but this one sounds like a good one. Nice pick!

Debbie's World of Books said...

This sounds really good! I've added it to my wishlist.

Stephanie (Books Are A Girl's Best Friend) said...

Susan Dunlap's books are all on my tbr list and I love the sound of this book as it sounds different from the typical hf book era and theme, I've never read anything set in the Crimea before.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Drowsy Town kit by Irene Alexeeva