Saturday, June 4, 2011

In My Mailbox - 6/4/11

Credit goes to The Story Siren for creating and hosting the In My Mailbox feature.

Here are the new books I got this week. Since I got so many books at BEA, I am trying not to buy that many, but I'm not sure how long that will last or how successful I'll be...

For review:

Wicked in Your Arms by Sophie Jordan

One of the most notoriously eligible bachelors in Europe is finally ready to marry . . .
For fiercely independent Grier Hadley, being the illegitimate daughter of one of London's most unsavory characters has only one advantage: an enormous, ill-gotten dowry.
Prince Sevastian Maksimi knows where his duty lies: he must find a well-bred young lady—one with a considerable fortune to her name—wed her promptly, and get to the business of producing an heir.
The last thing Grier needs is some unattainable prince curling her toes with his smoldering glances and wicked suggestions. As far as Sev is concerned, she lacks the breeding to become a princess. And yet one kiss from this arresting female is all it takes for him to realize that anyone else in his arms would be unthinkable . . .
(this ARC just showed up in the mail. I don't know why, since I only read a couple of adult historical romances each year and I think it's been a long time since I reviewed any. But, since it's historical, I'll try it and see if I enjoy it.)


Cleopatra Confesses by Carolyn Meyer

It is the first century B.C. Cleopatra, the third of the pharaoh's six children, is the one that her father has chosen to be the next queen of Egypt. But when King Ptolemy is forced into exile, Cleopatra is left alone to fend for herself in a palace rife with intrigue and murder. Smart, courageous, ambitious and sensuously beautiful, she possesses the charm to cause two of history's most famous leaders to fall in love with her. But as her cruel sisters plot to steal the throne, Cleopatra realizes there is only one person on whom she can rely--herself.


Nightspell by Leah Cypess

A stand-alone companion novel to the much-acclaimed MISTWOOD. When Darri rides into Ghostland, a country where the living walk with the dead, she has only one goal: to rescue her younger sister Callie, who was sent to Ghostland as a hostage four years ago. But Callie has changed in those four years, and now has secrets of her own. In her quest to save her sister from herself, Darri will be forced to outmaneuver a handsome ghost prince, an ancient sorcerer, and a manipulative tribal warrior (who happens to be her brother). When Darri discovers the source of the spell that has kept the dead in Ghostland chained to this earth, she faces a decision that will force her to reexamine beliefs she has never before questioned - and lead her into the heart of a conspiracy that threatens the very balance of power between the living and the dead.
(finished hardcover copy, I had already received an ARC which I reviewed here)


Bought:

Cascade by Lisa T. Bergren

Gabi knows she’s left her heart in the fourteenth century and she persuades Lia to help her to return, even though they know doing so will risk their very lives. When they arrive, weeks have passed and all of Siena longs to celebrate the heroines who turned the tide in the battle against Florence—while the Florentines will go to great lengths to see them dead. But Marcello patiently awaits, and Gabi must decide if she’s willing to leave her family behind for good in order to give her heart to him forever.

7 comments:

Katie said...

Great books this week. I really want to read Cascade and Nightspell. Happy reading!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

i'm so jealous of cleopatra confesses~! the sophie jordon book looks great too!

Here's my IMM

Christina T said...

I really liked Sophie Jordan's YA book, Firelight but haven't read any of her books for adults. Cleopatra Confesses looks really good. I had the e-galley but ran out of time to read it. I have enjoyed Carolyn Meyer's other historical fiction. Cascade also sounds interesting. I haven't read book one yet.

Kris @Imaginary Reads said...

Great books. I'm really looking forward to reading Nightspell myself!!

Kris
Check out my IMM @Imaginary Reads!

Anonymous said...

Great Picks! If you get a chance check mine out!

http://shamelessromancereviews.blogspot.com/2011/06/in-my-mailbox.html

Alison Can Read said...

Great set! I got Cascade too. I can't wait to read Nightspell.
My IMM

Kristina said...

I had seen Cleopatra at a used bookstore, but I passed it up, I hope I don't regret that decision too much.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Drowsy Town kit by Irene Alexeeva