Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Book review: The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell (Published by Harcourt, March 7, 2011)

In the spring of 1889, sixteen-year-old Amelia van de Broek leaves her small village in Maine to visit her cousins in Baltimore, and hopefully find a suitable man to marry there. Amelia's cousin Zora is the same age as her and the girls quickly become friends. Amelia enjoys life in Baltimore, having friends and a social life and attending parties. But then two things happen that disrupt Amelia's happiness with her new life.

First, at sunset, Amelia begins to see visions of the future. And second, she falls in love with a handsome young man named Nathaniel Witherspoon, but he is an artist and would not be considered a suitable husband for her. Amelia's forbidden romance with Nathaniel, who has a secret of his own, threatens her place in society. And soon the visions she thought at first to be harmless become dark and sinister.

I think that this book would appeal most to readers who enjoy historical fiction, as well as those who love paranormal romances but are looking to read something different than the typical book from that genre. I love fantasy novels but I am so tired of modern paranormals, and historical fiction is my favorite genre, so this book was like the perfect mix of genres for me. The historical setting of Baltimore in 1889 is really well described, and the style that the book is written in really suits the historical setting, it is very lovely and detailed and descriptive.

Disclosure: Review copy provided by publisher.

5 comments:

Christina T said...

I love historical fiction and I have a feeling I will enjoy this book. I was just thinking of starting it this evening and feel more motivated to do so after reading your review!

Stephanie said...

I'm right there with you on being tired of modern paranormals. Fantasy is SUPPOSED to exist in a historical (or at least historical-ish) world. I'm so tired of fantasies set in high schools--something about that is just plain wrong! I'm glad to see a historical book like The Vespertine get lots of attention in the blogosphere!

Unknown said...

Loved this book - and it's great that it blended your favorite genres! I'm glad it didn't dwell too much on the mystical side. Great review :)

Brittany said...

This sounds like a great book! I'll have to check it out sometime :) Fantastic review!

YA Librarian said...

I have a copy and am looking forward to reading it.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Drowsy Town kit by Irene Alexeeva